Student Accommodation FAQ

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions. If you have any other queries about our student accommodation, please contact us and we'll be happy to help.

Existing Tenants FAQ

Information for existing tenants including paying your rent online: Tenant FAQ

  • What is the contract length? 12 months usually starting in early July. We also have 10 or 11 month options on some properties.
  • What is the deposit per person? Ranging from £200-£800 depending on the type of accommodation (maximum 5 weeks rent).
  • Is the deposit refundable? Yes at the end of the tenancy so long as there are no damages to the property or rent outstanding.
  • Is my deposit protected under Tenancy Deposit Protection Legislation? Yes, your deposit is held in a separate account by DPS and is protected under government "Tenancy Deposit" regulations. For more information please go to
  • Is there parking? This depends on the property. Please see property description.
  • Are we allowed to put things on the walls? We ask not, but if you choose to and any damages are not rectified, there could be deductions from your deposit.
  • When is the rent due? The rent is paid in 3 instalments throughout the duration of your tenancy.
  • Can I pay monthly? Yes, subject to meeting the required criteria. Please ask us for details.
  • What do I need to do if I want to sign up? You need to make an appointment with the office.
  • If we are a group, do we all need to go in at the same time? Yes, however we can accommodate tenants abroad/absent, but the property isn’t secure until everyone has signed and paid their deposit.
  • What do we need to take with us to sign up? You will need your passport, student card and national insurance number - International students will need their passport, student card and Visa/BRP (British Residence Permit). If you are struggling with these please contact the office for more information.
  • How fast do you think we need to sign up? We would suggest signing up as soon as you can or there is a possibility the property may be let.
  • Can I reserve the property? No, we do not reserve properties. It is on a first come first serve basis.
  • Do I have to pay council tax? Not if you're a student. Please see the council website for more details.
  • Where do we report repairs? If something needs repairing you need to email the office with details of the maintenance issue and they will arrange for someone to come out and fix it.
  • Do the properties have a Gas safety certificate, EPC & HMO? Yes all properties comply with all government set legislation. Copies area provided when signing your contract, or by request at alternative times.
  • What do I do if I lose my keys? If you lose your keys you will need to get a replacement set from the office within working hours, there will be a £25 charge per key lost.
  • Will we need to buy a TV Licence for the property? If you are on all inclusive rent, we will pay for a TV Licence if required, however this is not automatically issued. It is your responsibility to advise us if you require one.
  • Who is responsible for testing the smoke alarms at the property? The smoke alarm will already be tested at the beginning of the tenancy however it will be your responsibility to test all smoke, heat and carbon monoxide detectors fitted in the property, on a regular monthly basis and to replace any batteries as necessary.
  • What type of contract would we sign? Except where otherwise stated all of our Student Accommodation properties are "Joint and Several Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement". This means that you are all jointly liable for the property i.e. you rent the whole property from us as a group, not on a room by room basis.
  • What if I've signed a contract and changed my mind? If for any reason you want to withdraw from the contract, it is your responsibility to find someone to take over any/all remaining tenancy period. You are still liable for any rent until a replacement has signed and taken over your contract. There is £50 administration fee charged to you for this.

Sheffield and District Landlords Association National Code for Assured Accommodation SNUG Registered Accommodation Residential Landlords Association Sheffield Student Landlords Association

Call in

We have 4 offices around Sheffield, situated in the city centre & around Sheffield - call in for a chat and find the best private student accommodation!